A couple of nights ago, the MBASA hosted an etiquette night for us spouses. And apparently, there is more to the story than just a bunch of women (and one man) getting together to learn how use all those forks properly.
Due to circumstances beyond our control, the MBASA is a little short on funds this year. And while this event wasn't meant to be extravagant, the presidency wanted to plan something for us that was a little nicer than the norm.
Enter miracle one:
The owner of the Kid to Kid in Lehi has been donating vanloads of clothes to MBASA every week for the past few months. We've been able to host a few free clothing exchanges, and actually the story behind those events is a small miracle in and of itself...I'll have to tell you about it sometime. Anyways, after our latest exchange, a lot of clothes were still left over, and MBASA's president had the brilliant idea to host a garage sale. They garage sale made a good amount of money, in fact, almost the exact amount of money that was needed to hire a caterer, making the night that much nicer...yay!
Miracle number two:
When the deposit was being paid to the caterers, the owner said thank you with tears in her eyes and explained that right before MBASA had called to book them for the etiquette night, she had been praying intently that someone would call and schedule them for an event. Due to some unfortuante circumstances (she just had surgery), she hadn't been able to work at her normal full-time job. She had just received her last paycheck in the mail for the amount of $15, and was in desperate need of work. That phone call was a direct answer to her prayers.
And, miracle number three:
As the etiquette night approached, the presidency was having a hard time finding someone to speak. The wife of one of the directors of the MBA program heard about their trouble, and suggested a friend from her ward: Candilyn Newell. Candilyn's husband served as an ambassador to Sweden during Reagan's administration, and so she had had the privilege and honor of dining with kings and queens, general authorities, political leaders from all over the world, and even Hollywood stars. As a side note, he was the youngest ambassador to serve since Thomas Jefferson. She was only 29 at the time, and delivered her fifth of six children three weeks after moving to Sweden. He was known as "The Family Ambassador"...what better legacy to leave, especially for a member of the LDS Church? Who better to teach us etiquette than her? Now, it may sound silly to say that procuring a speaker for our etiquette night was a miracle, but I really believe that it was. We all went that night hoping to learn how to use the silverware, but we left with so much more. It's one of those instances where a simple etiquette night was turned into an incredible evening. I think all of us there felt it that night. Again, it sounds silly, but the Spirit was there and we were all touched by it. Not only did she teach us how to eat properly, but she talked about being kind, gracious, and considerate of others - not only how to behave at dinner, but how to behave in life. I'm reading over this, and I guess it's just hard to put into words, but Heavenly Father knew the things that we needed to hear that night, the things that I needed to hear, and he made sure that the perfect person was there to deliver that message. I left feeling physically and spiritually fed and very uplifted and inspired. It was amazing, to say the least.
Now, a plug for the catering company. As far as I understand, it's a mother-daughter team. The food, in a word, was incredible. Not only delicious, but pretty to look at, too. They specialize in desserts, and the name of their company is Dessert Designers. Their number is 801-691-5736. They do small orders, as well as catering for larger events. Please don't hesitate to call them if you ever need desserts. I say this not only because they need work (but, let's face it, who doesn't need the work?), but more importantly because you will love what they do for you. They were professional, and their food was delicious. They had a table set up with samples of their different desserts that included pumpkin rolls, banana bread, cheesecake bites, fruit tarts, pumpkin bread, huge cookies, raspberry-topped fudge cakes, and many more things. I didn't try all of their samples (didn't want to be piggy...after all it was an etiquette night!). But, of the things that I did try, it was all good.
Whew! Made it through this post. Thanks for indulging me.
1 year ago




1 comments:
I admit, I got a little teary eyed. Sounded like a great night.
Post a Comment