Saturday, July 5, 2008

Lassen Volcanic National Park

A week ago, we had the awesome opportunity to visit Lassen Park in Northern California. When we were kids, and living in the Bay Area, we camped there a number of times in the summer. I have a lot of fond memories of Lassen: the hikes, the nature walks, completing the Junior and Senior Ranger programs, the Ranger programs at night..and being able to use our new K-mart flashlights to light our way in the dark, spending my allowance money on polished rocks and honey sticks at the the campground store, roasting marshmallows, dad's ghost stories, fishing in Hat Creek...catching a big one...and all the while wondering if that rattling in the bushes was a rattle snake about to get me, the infamous honking the horn in the middle of the night episode (another post for another time), climbing the volcano...and buying a t-shirt to brag about it, and generally just having a great time with our family. Lassen has always had a special place in my heart, and it was a thrill to be able to go back.
That being said...I have so much more respect for my parents. Taking us camping year after year is a feat I never understood, until now. While I enjoyed the trip immensely, I have to admit, it was more work than vacation! And, my parents did all the cooking and everyone helped out with the kids a lot...why then, was I so exhausted? I'm still trying to figure that one out! Part of it, I think, was that both Ethan and Matthew came down with fevers and sore throats while we were there, and then milked it for all it was worth...the complaining alone about drove me crazy. Then, came the night when no one slept well consistently. First Ethan was waking up, then Matthew was waking up, and all the while, James and I were both waking up because of them. Miraculously, Justin was great through it all...I'd be happy to take him camping, anytime! After one particularly hard night, James and I were ready to pack up and go home...but we stuck it out, though chanting "R-E-D-D-I-N-G!" under our breath for the rest of the week (the nearest place with motels and civilization to placate our boys). Even thought the nights were a literal nightmare, the days were fun, and Matthew and Ethan really enjoyed that part. Ethan became a child of the dirt, and I was convinced that neither he, nor any of his clothes would ever come clean again! In reality, Ethan cleaned up nicely, and most of his clothes are no worse for the wear...though we left a nasty ring in that bathtub in Winnemucca!
(the victorious volcano conquerors)

All in all, we had a great time, though it was sad not being able to do all the things that I love Lassen for because we had little kids in tow (like climbing the volcano). We'll just have to go back when the kids are a little older!

1 comments:

summer said...

This is why we want to go camping -and why it makes me nervous all at the same time. There is something about having camping memories to bond a family together - but the sleepless nights with kids just makes me tired to think about it. I'm glad to hear that overall you had a great time - how fun to head back to a favorite spot from your own childhood!

Also, I've been meaning to ask you about the story that you left on the Ning Blog - your family really just left the trailer full of things at the top of Donner Pass? That made me so sad but laugh at the same time...a bit of modern pioneering for sure!! :)