Ethan's birthday started with a phone call from Indiana. Heartbreak. Anger. Disappointment...then we got over it, and started celebrating the big day.
I made pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse for breakfast. Then, Ethan opened his cards and presents. 


A wooden snake from Matthew.
After opening presents, it was off to the movies where we all saw UP! Then, we headed to ToysRUs so that Ethan could spend his wad of birthday cash.Two days later...great mom, I know...I attempted to make his birthday cake.
He wanted a "Special Agent Oso" Cake (a secret agent panda from the Disney Channel). My grandma had given me a 3-D bear cake pan a while ago, and I was excited to finally use it.
This is how it turned out the first time:
Awesome, isn't it? Not only did it crumble to pieces when I attempted to remove the center cone, it also pulled a Mt. Vesuvius and erupted while baking.







5 comments:
Happy Birthday Ethan. We love the cake and love agent oso also!
I love it. And brett would be proud that two of the last three posts are about cake. The Hatches are BACK!
Love the hole in the second cake. So cute!! You did a great job on the cake and HE did a great job wishing you into a summer of fun! Go Ethan!
Heather! That is an amazing cake!!! How did you do the frosting like that? That must have taken hours! What a mom!
Anna,
I went on the Wilton website, and used their buttercream frosting recipe (I doubled it), and then mixed the colors and piped it on using a star frosting tip.
I have to admit I was kind of dreading frosting it (that's why it took a couple of days to get the cake done), but it wasn't too bad. It took about 1.5 hours to do. The most time consuming/hardest part was mixing the colors and filling the piping bags. Actually piping the frosting wasn't too bad.
Post a Comment