We got a call last night, at about 9 pm. It was the President of BYU-Hawaii, offering James a mini-internship. We'll be spending the rest of the summer in Hawaii. Hawaii. Hawaii! Hawaii?
After hearing that Indiana "changed their minds", one of James' friends/MBA team-member had a stroke of inspiration. Currently, he and his family are in Hawaii, doing a mini-internship, but he has to leave at the end of next week to do a study-abroad program in Europe. He called James and asked if he would be interested in taking his place for the rest of the summer, as long as BYU-Hawaii was okay with it. Of COURSE we would be interested!
A couple of days went by, and we heard nothing. Then, James' friend emailed. Slightly bad news. He explained that he didn't think anyone would be taking his place after he left and that James could slip right in, but in fact, BYU-Hawaii was already contemplating some other MBA candidates from a rather prestigious business school. But, if James wanted to send in his resume, the University President agreed to take a look at it.
A few more days went by, and we were starting to think it was a no-go. Then, last night we got the phone call, and away we go!
It's an unpaid internship, but they're paying to fly our whole family out there and back, and paying for our apartment, so we're okay with it. :) James will be working on two projects: One is financed-based, and one is more operations/logistics based (we think). Not only will he be getting some good experience, he'll also hopefully make some good contacts.
It's a miracle. A miracle. Really.
The boys are more than excited. Matthew can't wait to go to the beach, and now wants a beach ball and sand toys for his birthday, though last night he was concerned how we were going to eat while on the plane. "Do they cook for you?" he asked.
Ethan's excitement was expressed in tears. As soon as we told him that we were going to fly on an airplane, he was ready to get in the car and go. He was so, so disappointed when we told him we wouldn't be leaving for a few days. It's a good thing that we didn't leave last night, as Justin and Ethan both threw up multiple times. :)
Thanks again, everyone for the prayers and support. Now, if you could all just pray that North Korea won't bomb us on July 4th as threatened...
Next time you see us, we'll all be nice and tan...I hope! :)
1 year ago




16 comments:
Wow- Hawaii?? That is awesome! I think I could handle that. You guys will have so much fun. Isn't it great when things have a way of working themselves out? Good luck with the preparation getting out there and have so much fun!
holy crap! i hope you have a great time.
How exciting for you! What city and island? Does the internship come with a car?
Oh, congratulations!!! I'm so happy you got an internship! And Hawaii! How fun will that be?!?! When do you leave?
HAWAII!! I am so jealous! I love Hawaii and the BYU area is wonderful! I guess I know where you are headed on your airplane trip! That is so great that he got an internship . . . after all the heartbreak, you are going to have an awesome time there! I lived there for 2 months and loved it!
I'm just a tiny bit jealous now. But mostly I'm so happy for you guys!
Have a nice vacation!! How fun. Take lots of pictures.
Maybe we can play together! We are here in Laie until July 22nd!!! See you at the beach. :)
Congratulations!!! We're so happy for you. What a fun summer you'll have. By the time you're back, we'll have the basement finished in case you need it for a couple of weeks.
Happy, happy blessings!! Have a wonderful time.
Oh my goodness!! That is just awesome!! When do you leave??? I am so jealous!! I have never been to Hawaii. I hope it is wonderful.
Wow, congratulations! That is so awesome. I'm glad your prayers have been answered. Have a blast!
Two words: Shave Ice, with the cream on top. mmmm....shave ice.
We'll have to come and visit.
I'm so happy for you guys. Have a great time! What a fun summer...I'm totally jealous of your potential for tanning!
Yay! I am so happy for you guys Heather! Hawaii is one of my most favorite places in the world. You'll love Laie. Make sure to visit the North shore/Sunset Beach and take up surfing! Or maybe not if you're pregant ;). I have some good friends there in Laie. Maybe I can introduce you.
You will have to make sure you go snorkeling in Haname Bay! The fish there are gorgeous! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!
wow! that is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment