Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Once again, this recipe comes from the MBASA cookbook. I just have to say that I love collaborative cookbooks because everyone puts their best recipes in...you really can't go wrong!Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
8 oz. ham, cubed
8 slices Swiss cheese
1/2 c. cheddar cheese
2-3 sliced green onions
1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)...but not really :)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 c. milk
lemon juice
1 c. bread crumbs
garlic salt
Make it:
Sprinkle the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with half of the bread crumbs (it should cover the bottom). Place half of the chicken and ham over the bread crumbs and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Place half of the Swiss and cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle with green onions and mushrooms. In a separate bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup with milk and 2-3 T of lemon juice to create sauce. Add more milk if necessary to create the desired thickness. Add 1/2 - 3/4 of sauce to the casserole. Repeat the layers and top with remaining bread crumbs. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until heated through.
Tips:
- I used lunch meat ham, left it in the stack, and cubed it that way.
- I used 12 slices of Swiss cheese (a whole package), because it covered the casserole more completely
- I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt (because that's what I had)
- I used the reduced sodium cream of chicken soup and added a dash of lemon pepper for added flavor
- I think I added about an extra 1/2 c. of milk to the sauce...but just add a little at a time until the soup is thin enough to spread (maybe slightly thinner than pudding)
- After baking it for 30 minutes, the bread crumbs weren't completely browned, so I placed it under the broiler for a couple of minutes and kept an eye on it so it wouldn't burn.
We ate ours with oven-toasted french bread and a simple green salad of red leaf lettuce, spinach and tomatoes. It was really good. Enjoy!




11 comments:
This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! You are such a good cook. One of my new year's resolutions is to make healthy, good dinners for my family more regularly and I have been doing really well. It has been a lot of fun. I will have to try this recipe.
Your family is so adorable. I have three girls to match your three boys. If only they were the same ages then we could match them up and call it "Three Brides For Three Brothers." =)
blaine has been wanting me to do some cordon bleu thing. I should try it, before I go hippy.
YUMMM!!!! That looks SOOOO good.
Plus the photography is GREAT (as always)!!!
That must be kinda awesome to be like AWESOME at photography AND AWESOME at cooking good stuff. I can tell you are GREAT at BOTH because of the great picture; it really is evidence of multiple talents!
Oh, and that was way fun hanging out w/ you and James the other day. We really don't see enough of you guys, and as much as we sincerely hope for all the best for you both of you (esp. in James' career), it's really gonna SUCK if/when you move far away for some job or internship or whatever.
. . . but then again, I guess there's always the blog. So at least keep that up.
Wow look . . . You have EIGHT comments on your blog! ... no wait-- NINE now, including this one. look how popular YOU are.
See, you ARE a winner! -ha!
(just doing my part to make your blog great! . . . you're welcome! -ha! ;)
Thanks Blaine, for boosting my stats and my self-esteem!
I was excited for you thinking wow, 10 comments, that is like amazing, but still, 10 looks good. And so does the food, especially the swiss cheese part. I am gonna try it!
Post a Comment