Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Fair

On Friday, we went to my hometown fair. I love the fair. Growing up, my siblings and I were part of 4-H, so the fair was a big deal for us. We prepared all year for the fair. I did sewing, cooking, photography, and my brothers did rockets. We also raised animals. My first two years, I raised sheep. It was cool, but my older brother raised pigs, and pigs are awesome. I raised pigs for three years after that. We would buy our baby animals in the spring, take care of them all summer, and then enter them in the fair in the fall. They would be judged, and then sold at an auction. It was how we earned money before we were old enough to get jobs. And, by the way, pigs are totally cool. Despite what most people think, they're incredibly clean animals. Not to mention smart, and full of personality. Awesome.
The boys had fun riding rides and eating fair food. Natalie had fun spilling giant iced rootbeers in my lap, and looking at the rabbits. Apparently she ♥'s bunnies.


Natalie also slept while we carried her around :)

Later that night, we hit the rodeo at the fair. James had never been, so I was excited for him to see one. It was really fun, but I think the cowboys were tired from the bull-a-rama the night before. Only two bull riders lasted eight seconds, the ropers were having an off night, and half the bulldoggers didn't jump from their horses at all. But like I said, still fun. I love small towns where the citizens are fiercely patriotic, god-fearing people. :)

3 comments:

Lhone said...

I LOVE small town fairs too. I'm sad that morgan's wasn't that great for you guys. glad you got a second chance!

Michelle said...

I love the boy's expressions. They say so much. Cute kids.

Cynthia Hatch said...

I miss the small town fairs. With all of the neet things we did this summer I still missed my home town stuff. I am glad you got to enjoy it and watch the kids have a blast.