Thursday, August 26, 2010

The First Day of First Grade!

(Obligatory stand in front of the house with your huge backpack on picture)

I can't believe the summer is gone and school has started!! And, that Matthew is now in first grade. Where has the time gone? Matthew is so excited about school, and I'm glad. I hope it continues for as long as he's in school. For me, though I didn't always enjoy every minute of school, I would always get excited for the start of a new year...even in college. There's something I love about fresh, new school supplies, and all the possibilities that a new school year offers. A blank slate to make of it whatever you want. Matthew had the most awesome kindergarten teacher; the perfect mix of sweetness and discipline. Matthew learned so much, and he absolutely loved her, sometimes I think he loved her more than me ;) I told James he needs to be rich and then we'll hire her as our family's personal tutor until our kids go to college :) I just hope that he'll have a good experience this year, too. That his confidence will grow, and that he'll continue to be excited about learning new things.

Here's Matthew sitting at his desk. I'm pretty sure the teacher had the kids wear those hats so that she could keep all of them straight. Matthew started to get a little nervous as he walked into his classroom, but one of the boys from his primary class was sitting at his table and was excited to see Matthew. He felt more sure of himself after that, and it made me happy to see that he'd have at least one friend.
Have a wonderful year, Matthew! We're so proud of you. :)

6 comments:

Lhone said...

brittany said that she played with him at recess. I think it is cool that he knows people and can feel a little comfortable even in a new school. I hope he has a great year too.

Cynthia Hatch said...

He looks so cute. This is the time of year when we all realize how big our kids are getting. He looks so grown up at his little desk. Well maybe the hat keeps him young. Love it.

Michelle said...

Matthew is a good looking kid. Tyler said his shirt was "cool".

Andrea said...

Great... now I have the veggie tales song from Jonah in my head. "It was the first day of the first grade..." Cute pictures! And his shirt is pretty cool!

Jackie said...

Great pictures, Heather! I was noticing how much Matthew looks like you at that age--same smile! Glad you love school, Matthew!

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Cute picture of Matthew. I couldn't believe how excited he was (and still is). Hope that lasts!