Monday, August 23, 2010

Family Feast 2010: Be Courageous

Tonight, we celebrated the beginning of the new school year, by having a Family Feast. I first read about this tradition on NieNie's blog a couple years ago, and knew it was something I wanted to do with our family. However, last year we had just moved back into our house when Matthew started school, and were up to our necks in boxes. And I was eight months pregnant. The Family Feast didn't happen. But this year, I wouldn't be deterred. I made the kids crowns to wear that I plan to pull out every year, and on birthdays too. For dinner, we feasted on nachos. I made the non-velveeta cheese sauce from scratch, and topped it with refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, and steak.
For a decadent treat, I made chocolate dipped strawberries. Yum.
And we drank IBC cream soda with crazy straws.
In addition to the feast, James and I came up with a family theme for the year: Be Courageous. The scripture we chose to go with it is Joshua 1:9.
The first Monday of every month during the school year, for FHE, we'll in introduce a new "courage statement". Each statement has a corresponding scripture, hero, and challenge.
Our courage statements are:
1) I will always be kind, even if no one else is
2) I will ask for help
3) I will always tell the truth
4) I will stand up for right
5) I will never give up
6) I will choose the right
7) I will have faith
8) I will be a good example
9) I will help my friends, family, and anyone in need

I'm big on traditions. I think all families need them. I think our family really needs them with all the moving around we've done the last few years. It's nice that no matter where we are, you can count on some things being same :)

9 comments:

Cynthia Hatch said...

I love it! I love the hats. I love the dinner. I love the be courageous theme.

Fowler family said...

Heather, those crowns are SO COOL! And what a neat tradition to start. I love how you are tying it into a yearly FHE theme. Very neat. Your kids are lucky to have such a creative mom.

CL said...

What a great idea! I too love the crowns- did you make them up or use a pattern? What a great theme to have.

Andrea said...

Wow! Just Wow!

Lhone said...

amen, andrea. wow. you are the most creative person I know. I think that is cool to have such amazing traditions.

Michelle said...

One thing that I love about your feast is that those items are a real treat. Some kids grow up drinking soda like water and so it is not special. It is a complete holiday for Tyler when we buy soda(which is not very often). But I think it says something about you as a parent and the fact that you feed them healthy things. Know what I mean?

Kristen Mackrory said...

I LOVE the courage statements. What a fantastic idea. You really are an amazing woman and mother.

Jackie said...

Loved this idea! Great pictures--I love how you capture their personalities! Can't wait to see you all soon!

FoxFamily said...

I love love love your crowns!!! You do the most amazing things Heather!