Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Recipe of the Week

(photo courtesy of kraftfoodandfamily.com)

I've decided to start posting some of my favorite recipes each week. I love trying new ones, and I love to share them, but I'm bad at copying them down and getting them out. So, I thought this would be a fun way to share.
We tried this recipe last week for the first time, and LOVED it. If you're not a squash fan, this recipe may not be for you. But, I will say this: I like squash okay, but I don't love it. However, I love this soup.

Tips:

  • Don't skip the sour cream!! It makes this recipe. Trust me.
  • The easiest way to peel a butternut squash is to cut off the ends, then microwave it for three minutes. Use a vegetable peeler, I think it's easier than a paring knife.
  • While it's good the night you make it, it's even better the next day.
  • Instead of crackers, I sliced a loaf of french bread in half length-wise, buttered it, sprinkled it lightly with garlic powder, and broiled it on a cookie sheet until golden brown.

The recipe: (courtesy of Kraft Food and Family dot com)

Butternut Squash Soup

Prep Time:20 min
Total Time:45 min
Makes:8 servings, about 1 cup soup and 5 crackers each

What You Need:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 or 2 butternut squash (4 lb.total), peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
1/2 cup Sour Cream
Saltine Crackers

Make It:
HEAT oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add squash, onions and garlic; cook 5 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in allspice; cook and stir 1 min.
ADD broth. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on low heat 15 min. or until squash is tender. Process, in batches, in food processor (or blender) until smooth. Return to saucepan; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
LADLE into 8 bowls. Add 1 Tbsp. sour cream to each serving; swirl slightly. Serve with crackers.

It's healthy and cost effective...love it.

YUM!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

At first I thought that YOU had taken that picture and I thought, "Yeah, leave it up to Heather to do the whole swirly thing too when making a recipe." So, did you?

Heather - said...

You know me, I tried...it didn't turn out! I think you would have to thin down the sour cream to make it work.

Lhone said...

Sounds yummy! I wonder if Bliane would eat it? We'll see!

Jean said...

I LOVE that magazine/website! I am constantly telling your mom about recipes I find in there! I have had this recipe flagged for a long time, I think you have convinced me to try it. I bet you could can this really easily. I will have to try.

Brett said...

I came home from work yesterday and there were two butternut squahses (is that the correct for plural of squash?) sitting on the kitchen counter. I guess we're having soup for dinner soon.

Brett said...

Well, we had baby food for dinner tonight. Michelle and I really liked it. It put Rebecca and Tyler into tears and eventually bed. Tyler would put it into his mouth but then not swallow it and spit it out, so it really did look like baby food. I would put a picture here, but don't know how. Plus, I got in trouble for taking the picture.