Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Wonderful Christmas

What a Christmas! We had such a wonderful day...we are truly blessed! On Christmas Eve, it actually snowed!!!, so we had a white Christmas...probably one of the few that I've ever had. It was pretty magical!
Our day started at 7am. That's more my doing than anyone else's. What can I say? I'm 25, married, the mother two, soon to be three, children, and I still find it hard to sleep on Christmas Eve. I would have been ready to open presents MUCH earlier (4 am), but I tried to practice some patience. Matthew is definitely my kid, because when I got up to take the cinnamon rolls out of the fridge to rise, he came running out...apparently he had been waiting for the slightest noise as his cue that it was okay to get up. When I asked him if Santa had come, he replied "nope, not yet". I asked "what do you mean? Where did all these presents come from? He looked around and then said "oh yeah, I guess he has". I don't know what he was expecting...
We woke up James and Ethan, and then it was time to open presents!!


Ethan was so tired, but he managed to pull off a sleepy "cheese!" for the camera.

This year was the first year that we haven't been at someone else's house for Christmas morning. As much as I enjoy opeining presents with everyone else, I thought it was fun to do our own thing and go at our own pace. The kids started with the stockings. We stopped to let them indulge in a few treats, and then we opened one package at a time. Most of the time, they would open their present, and then they would want to stop and play with it, so we let them. It took awhile to make it through the presents, but I really liked doing it that way.


Ethan is really enjoying having a pre-breakfast juice box.


This was a present from my parents to the boys. This book is special because it was a favorite in my house growing up. To this day, my brothers and sister and I quote it. Matthew and Ethan really love it too, and I would highly recommend it!


Matthew asked for puzzles this year, and he got them! He was pretty excited because he's been asking for "the firetruck puzzle" for a few months, now.


Ethan LOVED the bag of balls that his uncle Brett (Hays) gave him. He really got into opening presents, and apparently this present was very exciting for him!

This is James with his new drill. In case you can't tell, he's as excited about the drill as Ethan was about the bag o' balls.

Um...wow. I can't believe that I'm posting this picture of myself, but it's the only one that got taken of me. I really should have brushed my hair or something! It's really not fair...James looks handsome and bright-eyed, and I well, don't. Oh well. This is me in the robe that James got me, holding a Cuttlebug die-cutting/embossing machine for scrapbooking and other craft projects...and I'm very excited about it! I also really love the robe that James got me. I told him that he can't let me become a "robe person". When the robe starts to become a permanent all-occasion fixture of my wardrobe, and/or I start wearing curlers as an accessory, he needs to stage an intervention! I've been wanting a flannel robe for a long time, and I finally got one...probably the most comfy-cozy one on the planet (which is why I can see myself crossing over into "all robes all the time-ville").
Other than the things pictured, the boys got new tool sets, books (including a jr. Book of Mormon), clothes, a Tonka truck (Ethan), more puzzles (Matthew), soccer ball (Matthew), slippers, and spiderman watches.
I got James a chisel set and chisel accessories, and some clamps. James also got a novelty Dodgers golf ball and tees set.
And James got me perfume, and a CD. I also got a She-ra dvd (awesome!!)
We also each open a book on Christmas Eve. James got the Messiah series by Bruce R. McConkie, I got the complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, Matthew got the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and Ethan got a dinosaur board book.
We also received a lot of generous cash presents, a nativity set, a framed family picture and delicious baked goods, and cards. Thank you to everyone.
After opening presents, and talking to my family on the phone, we headed out to Morgan to spend the rest of the day relaxing with James' parents and his brother and family. For dinner, we had enchiladas (his family makes AWESOME enchiladas!!), tamales, a huge assortment of sweets and appetizers, and ice cream cake for dessert. We also played TV Scene It (a game) and we won't mention who won...
We had such a wonderful Christmas and hope that you all did, too.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What great Christmas morning pictures...and I know what you mean about not having much to pick from for pics of yourself. Cuz we're the ones with the camera....I think you look very cute. What a great robe to have for Christmas morning by the way. I'm glad you guys got to have Christmas morning at home. We haven't done it at anyone elses house before...it might be fun. BUt I really love having our own Christmas morning. P.S. Thankyou for your christmas card and letter. You guys are hanging on my fridge. I have been married almost three years and haven't managed to get Christmas cards out any one of those year. Sad. So hopefully next year we will do it. And by the way how are you feeling pregnant mommy?

Heather said...

Well, don't feel bad, I'm going on five years of marriage, and this is the first year that we've done Christmas cards/letter. I seriously had to set it as a goal last year to make sure that it would get done this year.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty good. I have more aches and pains this time, but it is my third, and I'm chasing around two, so I guess that's to be expected. I actually just got back from an ultrasound. At my last ultrasound, three months ago, the placenta was low, so they had me come back in to check it. I guess it's pretty common to have a low-lying placenta in the first 28 weeks, and it usually stretches out of the way, but they have to check, just in case it doesn't. If it's touching or covering the cervix, then you have to have a c-section...otherwise when you go into labor, you start bleeding and it puts you and the baby at serious risk. It's pretty rare to have placenta previa (that's what it's called), but I got pretty stressed out about it, anyways. I didn't think I was too concerned about it until last week, I started getting really nervous and everytime I started thinking about it I would tear up...I'll blame it on the hormones. But, everything is fine, so there was no reason to worry, I guess.
How have you been feeling? You only have a few weeks left!!