Last Friday was our ward Christmas Party, and it was a lot of fun. I keep mentioning that Matthew has been all about the traditions this year, and seeing Santa at the ward party was the thing he was most excited about. That day, I told him that we were going to a Christmas party at the church, and his eyes lit up and asked if they were going to have yummy food and if Santa was going to come. I said yes, and then he got really excited and asked if he would get an orange and a candy cane (because he got those last year) and I said I didn't know, but that he would probably get something. Well, that pretty much made his whole day, and he couldn't wait. In fact, he is such a funny kid, he asked if I could give him and Ethan haircuts before the party. Apparently, he wanted to look his best when he saw Santa. So I did, and gave them baths, and then we headed out to the party. The minute we sat down at our table, Matthew leaned over to me and whispered "Is Santa going to bring his reindeer?" He was really concerned because the gym, where we all were, was completely packed and Matthew didn't think that Santa and his reindeer were going to fit. I told him, probably not, it would just be Santa. He looked relieved and then continued to ask literally every two minutes when Santa was going to come. Finally, after we had all eaten our dinner (delicious ham, green beans, salad and the best potatoes I've ever had) and our desserts (pie!!), and after the Bishop spoke a little bit (that made Matthew really nervous...he thought we were starting Sacrament Meeting, and that he would have to sit there and listen forever to speakers), they announced that we would be singing some Christmas carols, and then a special visitor would come. At this point, I'd like to say that Matthew was excited, but I think the poor kid had given up hope that Santa would really be there...but then, in came the Jolly Elf himself, and Matthew was star-struck. He grabbed my hand, and we got in line to go sit on his lap. Matthew was actually doing a little happy dance, he was so excited, and he couldn't stop smiling. Well, it was FINALLY our turn, and Matthew hopped up on Santa's lap, and then...proceeded to ignore Santa. Suddenly Matthew was very interested in his own hands, and wouldn't look at Santa, wouldn't respond to any of his questions, it was like he didn't even care that he was finally sitting on Santa's lap, like he hadn't insisted on me cutting his hair so that he could look good, like he hadn't been counting down the seconds until this very moment...basically, Matthew looked as though he couldn't care less. And Ethan...don't even get me started. James put him on Santa's lap, and all he tried to do was get DOWN! That actually surprised me because he's usually pretty friendly, but apparently Santa's not his thing. So, as you can see, we have the classic Santa picture of nonchalant Matthew, and mad Ethan. All I can do is laugh...I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words. This one just reminds me of my crazy silly little boys.
1 year ago




4 comments:
We had our ward Christmas party tonight and Savannah totally suprised me! I knew she loved the idea of Santa but I really thought she would be afraid of him in real life. Nope. She looked at me and said "Santa!" and then was off like a shot. Up the stairs she went and butting in front of other kids...I was way back trying to get my pregnant belly around people to be with her. Next thing I knew I'm ducking and bobbing to see where she ended up... there she is on Santa's lap totally fearless and loving every minute of it. And I really wish I had the picture...I could kick myself.
That's cute. And, that's one of the reasons that I was so surprised by Matthew's reaction this year. Last year, he LOVED Santa...and that shocked us. I really think that they got the real Santa to come last year, because I've never seen anything like it. Last year, he was wearing one of those old-fashioned suits, so he looked authentic, and EVERY kid loved him. He led Christmas carols, and asked for volunteers to help him...before we knew it, Matthew was running up from the back of the gym, all by himself and standing up in front of everyone to help Santa lead. He wasn't the least bit scared of him, which was weird, because at that point, he was still kind of afraid of family members. We like to call it our "Christmas Miracle" because meeting Santa was really a turning point for him...he started staying in nursery on his own, he wasn't so afraid of everyone, and his personality really blossomed for everyone else to see (not just around us)...wish the real Santa could have come this year!
Being pregnant does have its downside in big crowds, doesn't it, can't really weave in and out unnoticed anymore, it's more of a Princess Bride moment "Everyboday MOVE!!!" Just make sure you bring your camera next year, maybe you can get a picture of Savannah ignoring Santa, too...or more likely, you'll get the cute picture I was hoping to get this year!
I love the princess bride moment idea. Thats exactly what I needed. Instead I end up rubbing peoples back sides with my tummy. It doesn't matter how hard I try I have to brush up against their bum...if I wasn't so short I wouldn't have this problem.
Thats cute he helped him lead the music...he's brave!
Post a Comment