On Friday, James didn't have work, so we went out sight-seeing again. Our first stop was the Byodo-In Temple. The temple was built in 1968 to commemorate the first Japanese immigrants in Hawaii, and not a single nail was used in its construction. It is a scale replica of a temple at Uji Japan that was built over 900 years ago.
This golden Buddha, found inside the temple is thought to be the largest figure carved since ancient times (it's over 18 feet tall).
This is the Bell House (kanetsu-ki-do), and it contains a five foot high, three ton brass bell called a bon-sho (sacred bell). The resonate sound of the bell is supposed to bring a sense of peace, and cleanse the mind of evil and temptation. It is customary to ring the bell before entering the temple to spread the word of Buddha.
The temple grounds contain many fish ponds. Ethan made friends with this kind woman who shared her fish food with him.
Then, Ethan shared his fish food with Matthew so that they could both feed the fish.
*I should mention that the temple grounds and surrounding cemetery were featured in more than one Magnum episode*
After the temple, we headed along the Pali Highway to the Pali Lookout. The views are amazing:



Then, we went in search of the "Robin Masters" estate. No trip to Oahu would be complete for us without checking out some sites from our favorite 80s show.
While we were looking for the gate that leads to the estate, we stumbled across this:
T.C.'s place! (Magnum's friend)
And here it is, the gate that leads to the estate...all you'll ever get to see without a special invitation!
And, since we were hunting for TV sites, I couldn't pass up a chance to go see the "Others" yellow houses from "Lost".
"Lost" is filmed all over the island, but most of the sites are on private property, or too remote to try to locate with three kids in tow. This is a YMCA camp.
We also spent a few hours at the beach. I haven't been brave enough to bring my camera to the beach yet, but I will sometime, and I'll post pictures when I do.
1 year ago




4 comments:
When we were on Oahu, we went in search for Robin Master's estate. If you are looking at the gate from the front, you can go around to the right aways and then come to a parking lot. From there we walked around the back of the houses and could see the "estate" and Magnum's 'guest' house. You could also see the beach with the rocks that made the area private. That was for sure a highlight for me too!
I wish Brett had a job that was also a vacation!
Those pictures could be postcards. WOW!!!! I can't believe how amazing those looked. Absolutely amazing.
Beautiful pictures!!! Are you having so much fun???
Post a Comment