Before I had kids, and even when Matthew was really little, I always told myself I would not be "one of those moms". You know, the ones that (shhhh!) let their kids watch a lot of TV. But then, there got to be so many of them (kids, I mean) and I felt overwhelmed at times, and so I used the TV to buy me some quiet time (gasp). And, I'll be the first to admit it: it's gotten a little out of control. The amount of daily TV-watching that goes on with my kids is practically criminal. I'm picky about what they watch, but let's be honest...TV is TV.
So, I decided to put an end to it. I WILL take back my kids! Instead of TV, we will be doing cheap projects together.
Today, we made flannel boards. I went to the store and got two 11x14 stretched canvases, some pirate ship flannel, and some craft felt. Then, we stretched the flannel over the canvas boards, and I cut shapes out of the felt.
Can you believe that this has kept them occupied for FOUR hours?!!
Much better than TV, if I do say so myself! The really great thing about the flannel boards is that it's an activity that they can play with again, and again. And, we can use other mornings to make more shapes to add to their collection, too. It's the project that just keeps on giving.
Matthew made the top two pictures, and Ethan did the last one. He's really not satisfied until every piece of felt is on his board.
1 year ago






2 comments:
Who are you and what did you do with Heather? No... I think that is really cool that you would try to make such a change. I think I should do more with my kids. Let me know if it works.
you are so cute! and have the cutest ideas!
i already try to do "craft time" with sienna. she eats the playdough and crayons. so i guess it's more snack time then craft time.
Post a Comment