Friday, August 29, 2008

Mocktail Party

So, last night James and I were invited to an MBA "mocktail" party at BYU. At first we thought the idea of a "mocktail" party was kind of weird. What, is BYU into the "appearance of evil" now, or what? But, once we got there, while talking to one of the 2nd year student mentors, he explained that alot of business is actually conducted at similar events out in the "real world" and that there is a need for BYU students to learn how to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. So, basically it's good practice for all of us to order non-alcoholic drinks (italian sodas, in this case...yum!) and socialize while sipping something, and not look like a dork doing it. It's a way to get all of us uptight Mormons to relax a little and be personable. Apparently James and I aren't the only ones who need practice with that. Admittedly, it was a lot of fun to get all dressed up and have an evening out with James.
Before we tightened our belts for good, James and I tried to fill in the holes in our wardrobe. Not that we have the be -all, end-all of wardrobes, but they're better than they were. It's funny because James needed casual clothes to wear to school, and I needed dressier clothes for functions like this one. And, since every girl needs a little black dress in her repertoire of clothing(or so I've heard), this is the one I found, on sale (a killer deal, really), at Macys: sorry, we didn't take pictures of ourselves, so you'll have to settle for the model. I look practically the same, anyways :) ahem...After our drinks, we had the awesome opportunity to listen to Sheri Dew. I have always loved listening to her speak. She is one of those people who just command your attention. We were sitting only five rows back (so what if I counted?) and at times I think we even made eye contact (really drives her point home even more). She talked mostly about influence. How everyone has influence, whether big or small, and that we should use our influence for good. (I say 'we' and 'us' even though I'm not the MBA, because she geared her talk to include the spouses, too.) She talked a lot about being a good leader and how we should always do the right thing, no matter how much courage that takes. She also pointed out that our greatest roles as leaders will be in our own homes, and that our greatest team efforts will be between husband and wife. It wasn't just a church talk, though. She talked a lot about the business world, and some of her experiences as CEO of Deseret Book. I found a lot that I could apply to my life, and I resolved to be an even better support for James. They say that behind every successful man is a good woman, and I intend to BE that kind of woman. What can I say, it was fun. I hope we have a lot more events like this because I like acting grown up.
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...at one point, Sheri Dew asked for comments on leadership, and James raised his hand and offered a brilliant one (no, I'm not biased). Look at him, coming out of his shell and everything!

9 comments:

Christine said...

Great dress!

Andrea said...

I am SURE that you look just like the model in the picture. I have to say though, sometimes that James can surprise you huh?

Michelle said...

We want to know James' brillant comment. We want to judge for ourselves if it is really brilliant or not!!!! Just kidding, we trust Heather's judgement. But we do want to know what his comment was. Don't keep us waiting too long. We are still waiting to see pictures of Heather in her grown up clothes.

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Way to go James! Love the dress!

Lhone said...

awesome dress, I'm sad I haven't found mine yet, but my "little secret" will help I'm sure. I mean, seriously was I supposed to lose weight, or just look like I did! hee hee, thanks for the tip. And, I'm with michelle, what was the comment?

Heather - said...

Okay, so James' comment may not have the same impact because it was in response to a movie clip that Sis. Dew showed. The clip was from the movie "We are Marshall". James and I really hadn't wanted to see the movie before, but we want to now, after seeing the clip. For those of you that haven't seen it, it's about Marshall University's football team back in the 70's. The whole team, with the exception of the star player and two other players who were all on the injured list, and all of the staff, except the assistant coach who was on a recruiting trip, and a lot of sponsors were all on a plane that crashed and everyone died. As you can imagine, the whole town was devastated and they weren't going to try to re-build the team, they were just going to bury the past and never do football again. Well, the star player wasn't about to let that happen. He felt like the best way to honor those that had died, and help reunite the town would be to re-build the team. The clip that was shown was the star player going to his two teammates and telling them that the school board was going to get rid of football at a meeting that night and they needed to go up to campus and find everyone they could and meet him at the meeting, and he gave out various other assignments. That night, he barged in on the meeting and told all the "big wigs" that they need to re-build the team, that it was important to the town, but they wouldn't listen to him. So, he walks over to the window and says, "If you won't listen to me, you should at least listen to them." They all go over to the window where they see thousands of people who are chanting "We are Marshall" over and over again.
Sister Dew wanted to know, based on that clip, what makes a good leader. She took about ten comments, and they were all good...things like courage, being able to delegate, things like that. The thing that made James' comment so good, in my opinion, was that it was a less-obvious answer, but probably the most true. He said that he was a good leader because he knew who he was...he WAS Marshall. Because he knew who he was, he was able to lead others in a clear direction.
I really do think it was a great comment because it has so many layers to it. You need to know who you are as a businessman, as a family member, as a member of the church...if you know who you are, and remember who you are, that's when you're going to be a good leader.

James didn't want me to post this. He doesn't think it's "brilliant". Just had to throw that in there.

Michelle said...

Well I am impressed. Good job Jim. So now to be fare we are just waiting on pictures of Heather in her cute clothes!!!
Mom's comment made it sound like Jim got the dress.

Andrea said...

I'm with Michelle, I want to see the cute clothes. And mom's comment did make it sound like Jim got the dress.

Lhone said...

I want to see Jim in the dress! I mean if it's his...

Good comment! I am so impressed. I am with you that it sounds like the right answer and for a lot of different reasons. Deep...