Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Odds and Ends

So, yesterday, I got the long anticipated Fuzzi Bunz (cloth diapers) in the mail. Due to all the storms in the midwest, the factory that makes them had to shut down, and thus the delay. I've only been using them for a little while, but I LOVE them. I haven't had any problems with leaking so far, not even overnight, and Ethan really loves them. The first time I put one on him, he said "ooh, so soft!!" I'll have to keep you updated about them once I've had more time to really try them out, but right now I wonder why I didn't make the switch sooner. I've even changed some messy diapers, and really, it's no worse than changing a messy disposable diaper. I'm very happy with my purchase!
Matthew had a follow-up visit with an audiologist today, and no surprise here, he has to get tubes in his ears. First, they'll make a small incision in his ear drum and suck as much fluid out as they can, and then they'll put in the tubes and drain away the rest of it. The good news is that he can still go swimming (as long as the water is chlorinated), but no more dunking his head in the bath water which happens to be filled with germs. Apparently it's not a very long procedure, but he will have to breathe in some gas to knock him out for it. How exciting, huh? It hasn't been scheduled yet, but we're shooting for the next couple of weeks (as if we didn't have enough going on already!).
The specialist told me that he had a 70-year old man come in earlier today, complaining that he could barely hear, and it turns out that his hearing and Matthew's hearing tested the same. The only difference is that Matthew doesn't know any different. Not only is his hearing affected, but his ears are severely pressurized...he has that feeling that his ears need to pop ALL THE TIME. Poor kid. It will probably be a refreshing change for him once all the gunk is gone and he can finally hear, and be comfortable.
I'll let you all know how it goes!

1 comments:

Lhone said...

Too bad about Matthew. Poor kid. I hate feeling like my ears are plugged. I couldn't imagine feeling like that all the time. Plus, not being able to hear is so annoying. I bet it'll really throw him for a loop to be able to hear.

You'll have to let us know about those fuzzi bunz. If they really are great, I might make the switch. I just bought diapers, for both boys, and wipes and spent a fortune. I get sticker shock every time. Keep us posted!